Thread: Power Outage
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
....until the power company gets to it. They do have a ride to the island when they are available to go out there.

I am hoping it is soon so Snake Eyes can get back online. I may need to find alternate power in the future for these times. I would think a big PC backup battery backup would last for several days if it only powered a little webcam and modem. Suggestions are welcome!

IG
IG,

A PC Back up will obviously help some, of course the factors are how long is the power out for. Of course that is also probably your cheapest choice too. After that your going to have to get into devices that will switch out the main power and switch in and on the AUX power (generator, etc.)

My suggestion would be to look into alternative energy to run the self contained unit of modem and web cam 24X7X365.... a solar cell, a couple of gell cell batteries an inverter, and as long as you have good sun.... your all set....Then you don't have to worry as much about the how long part of the equation......