View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default How long can you hold your breath?

I've surfaced dove the Lady of the lake before. On a bright sunny day in late summer you can see the wreck from the surface. It's just 25' down to the deck, if you are neutral buoyant and relaxed you can easy get to the deck level. However, if it high traffic and you're easily spooked you'll never make it.

There is another wreck just east of Ship Island in about 10' (gravel bottom). All that's left are a few planks and the engine and running gear. When my girls we young, we anchored there and I spent the better part of an hour searching for the wreck for them. When I found it, I was rather disappointed with the condition and thought it would be turn off the the kids. On the way back to the boat I found some discarded chicken bones, so I dove down and grabbed them. When I got back on board the boat the girls want to know every detail about the wreck... I pull out the old bones and fabricated a story about this fully intact powerboat and looking through an open porthole I saw a skeleton hand waving in the currant and it reached out to grab me and as I struggled to get away the hand bones came with me... I told them to put on their gear; we're going back for the treasures. Well, needless to say they weren’t interested exploring any more that day and made me return the hand bones back to the wreck so the skeleton wouldn't come looking for this hand some late night.

If you dive there be prepared to enhance their diving experience with a good story. For some good lake stories I recommend, Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee by: Paul Blaisdell

BTW: Don't forget your dive flag... They’re also required for snorkeling as well.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnipesaukee Divers For This Useful Post: