View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Rose I've never had a problem with the forecast predictions 2-7 days out.
My total disregard for weather forecasters stems from what I use THAT DAY to plan my work. That day means what they say is going to happen and the time line for it to happen. That means when you say at 7am it's going to rain around 3pm and it's pouring at 10am it is all still a guessing game?
Or when you predict 12" of snow the morning of the storm and we get a dusting, you call that foresacting?
Sorry it just makes no sense to me, I just don't understand how you can be so wrong so often and feel good about what you do and actually justify it.
If I ran my business like that I wouldn't have one.
Yeah, I can understand that. There are certainly meteorologists on air who hang onto their original forecasts waaaaay too long (usually for snowstorms). But short-term forecasts can be difficult, particularly in this area with that big body of water to the east. I can remember when I was in school at UMass-Lowell, I answered the phone in our weather lab and a woman from Lowell wanted to know how much snow we were going to get the next day. My answer was 10-12". Well, for reasons I don't even remember now, the NH/MA border seemed to be a very sharp dividing line between lots of snow and no snow. My boss in Derry, NH couldn't get to work, but there was bupkis in Lowell.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote