Thread: Biker Week
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 06:06 AM   #63
madrasahs

Thumbs down Follow the Money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
"I can assure you that defective equipment summonses for loud motorcycles here in the seacoast...have been few and far between."
I am dead-certain that if an individual officer bought the necessary "mandatory" equipment, he would be reprimanded by his Chief (who wants to be photographed handing out wood plaques and to restyle the gold-leaf logos on the cruisers -- rather than to train all his officers to conform to the "unfunded liability" in the Law).

Quote:
most Police Officers will not waste their or your time writing unenforceable citations.
Except maybe near officers' homes?

"Your time?" How many offenders will go to court rather than pay the $43 "chump-change" fine for bad pipes?

"Their time?" They get the same pay "for cruising" as for losing -- or winning -- in court.

Quote:
"It will take the hard work of the New Hampshire State Legislature to craft an effective and enforceable noise ordinance for motorcycles!"
"The fines are "chump-change"
"The bad-pipe limits are too high."
"Bikers ignore warnings"
"Bikers consider the fines 'the cost of doing the bad-pipes business'"
"Nightsticks won't work -- Bikers put wires in the pipes now."
"Officers may damage the 'Bike"
"It's unenforceable"
"It's too expensive"
"It's too much trouble"
"It's too complicated"
"It will take hard work"

Three-hundred thousand bikers rule New Hampshire's roads for 9 days, and bring in "a lot of" money.

The Legislature (and the Police) are not going to look this Cash-Cow in the mouth. Quality of Life issues can be set aside for residents -- maybe indefinitely!

To paraphrase a repeated phrase: "You ain't going to enforce what you don't want to enforce."

As for me, I'm going to contact my Anti-Noise Lobbyist.

Somebody's getting rich, here.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote