View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
webmaster

Thanked 3,729 Times in 825 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
...and Sunset Bob moves into third place on Photopost!
We all enjoy your photos Bob.... 870 photoposts.... keep 'em coming!
I agree wholeheartedly. Sunset Bob's (and mcdude's) fantastic pictures are a big reason that PhotoPost is such an amazing collection. We added another 1 million views in just the last few months. In 2005 I bragged about 3 million views and now we've topped 16 million. All the contributors are providing a valuable service by giving Internet users worldwide a glimpse of our favorite area.

I especially appreciate that Bob (and others) includes a descriptive title with his pictures. This is vitally important since the title and description provide the keywords that enable Google Images and other search engines to find and index the pictures. Once a picture drops off the 50 most current display or appears in the random forum display there is little chance anyone will see it again unless it can be found through a search. For example, all of Bob's recent parasailing pictures contain the word "parasail" and his sunset pictures contain the word "sunset". It seems obvious but so many pictures are posted with a title like "img_0001" or "Cool Shot" making me take the time to add a more descriptive title when I can. If the picture is of your dog in your boat make sure the title or description contain the word "dog" and "boat" and hopefully where and when it was taken. If you're showing off a picture of your Donzi make sure you include the word "Donzi" so people searching for pictures of Donzis will find it. I've nagged (sorry) about this before but it continues to be a big problem. At least 10 million of the 16 million current total views came from Google Images and other searches so the keywords are very, very important. I hope this also answers jeffk's question which I somehow missed until now.

Including descriptive titles, good descriptions and only posting pictures taken in the Lakes Region are 3 of the criteria I use when granting unlimited and unmoderated posting privileges.

Thanks again to all the contributors and especially to Bob who is quickly moving up the top 10 list!
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote