Thread: How's the ice
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
Mink Islander

Default Cattle Landing

Ice is usually thin between the town docks and Dolly Island this time of year. Ice eaters create expanded open water off the Dolly Island boat house and a couple of houses on the opposite side on Meredith Neck do the same. Add to that Cattle Landing is sort of a "pinch point" between two larger sections of the lake and thus creates a natural place for two large ice plates to work against each other -- often an ice ridge through that general area as a result.

From the town docks to the North side of Mink, normally the ONLY area of concern is that area off the Dolly boat house. Stay in the middle. Test the ice frequently if on foot. Keep up your speed on sleds/atvs. Look for evidence that others have gone before you (on foot/sled/atv).

With luck, in a a week or so, that area will be more fully locked in. This is still early in a typical year for me to be venturing through there and I won't get out til that last weekend of the January unfortunately.

In bad years to avoid that section of ice, I have gone straight across towards Bear Island and then snuck around behind/around Dolly Island. Some portaging required and there are ice eaters back there too so be aware.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote