View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default What I mean

If there is something I want, I would go to the store, check it out and buy. Most items, I would not check out elsewhere if I knew it is its only nickels and dime difference. It is the big tickets items that I would shop around, furniture, appliances, cars et al.

For instance furniture, I would look at a display model at a Meredith store and they gave me a 'sale' price of $1,400. The manufacturer website gave a suggested retail price of $1400. So where is the sale? A furniture store in Franklin offer the same couch for $1,000. The price quoted was their discount price. Big Lots has the same couch for $700. I bought the couch at a 20% off weekend for $550. I shopped around with the intention looking for a couch. I made no promises. BTW the Meredith store called and ask if I want to purchase. I told them I will be buying elsewhere. The caller says they will match. I counter if that was the 'sale' price they quote, why would they want to go lower? After much BS from the caller, I finally told them I bought it at Big Lots. That was a 'factory reject' they say. After hanging up I called the factory themselves and they assure me the couch I bought is what they will send to a top dollar store. If there was a defect it will be sold at a factory store.

What I am trying to get at is it is not easy to get a good price any more because of all the manure flying around. And one wonders why salesmen get a bad rap! So it pays to do your homework!