View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
bclaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldron View Post
Camps Andover & Waldron

I attended Camp Waldron (for boys) during the summers of 1969, 1971, and 1973.

In 1969 I was in Cooper Cabin, in 71’ in Ellison Cabin, and in 1973 Wilderness Outpost, which consisted of tents on platforms ½ mile from the main camp. At Wilderness outpost the campers spent 10 out of the 14 days away from the camp. We canoed down the Connecticut River for 5 days, and hiked the Appalachian Trail for 5 days. The few days we actually spent at the camp were just a blur.

It was a life changer, I learned how to swim, to appreciate the outdoors, we climbed Mount Ladd, there was a particular tough section called the “Lemon Squeeze” and I learned how to handle a canoe. I remember the outdoor chapel, the mile swim, off-bug spray (which never worked) flashlights with the orange cones, war-canoe races on Lake Winnisquam, and bug juice which was a refreshing relief from the summer heat.

One of my most memorable experiences was actually away from the camp when Ellison cabin went hiking in the White Mountain National forest. We climbed a section called the “three sisters” and spent the night at an old watchtower 30’ above the forest floor. The wind was blowing at 50+ mph and the tower was rocking back and forth seemingly ready to tip over any second – It was the most terrifying night of my life
On Labor Day 1970(?) I climbed Mount Chocorua and spent the night in the Jim Liberty Cabin, with 5 others. As it got dark we sat outside watching both a full moon and a forest fire creep, up over Mount Whittier. The next morning I hiked over to Middle Sister and got lost on the way back and decided to just keep going rather than go back and find the trail. I ended up down over a steep cliff. With luck I was able to get back up, with the help of a 1" bush, without it breaking loose. What is it that makes Middle Sister so scary? Maybe Chocorua's curse!!!
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote