Thread: RT109 paving...
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

The only sidewalk on the whole 18 miles is in Wolfeboro and that has had it's own issues with water main switchover work for the past year or so. 109 truly would be a great bicycle road if it had its own lane for pedestrians and cyclists. It would be much safer as 109 has many sharp/blind turns in it (at 40mph) that hide pedestrians until you are almost on top of them. My biggest complaint besides the frost heaves and center of lane cracks has been the disintegration of the shoulders, which is very dangerous to everyone. The rains, plowing, big trucks, age, have all contributed to the pavement breaking off the shoulders. The lanes are tight and if you get off the shoulder with with a tire it can hook you and off into the other lane, or into the trees you can go. The shoulders are also where everyone walks or rides their bikes. We all saw what the heavy rains did to the drainage ditches a few years ago. Eroded them to the point the state had to come in and fill/ repair them....Not good.......Too bad as it it such a nice area.

I have to comment that once again Wolfeboro gets all the nice 2" pavement while the small towns like Tuftonboro/Melvin Village get the shaft of shim paving instead of a nice road, through a beautiful town.
Well that is my rant...For the day.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote