View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #33
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStan2450
You seem to think it is about the gfbl boats against everyone else and that simply isn't true.
Stan,
You are correct here...HB162 in not only about GFBL boats. It applies to all boats equally. HB162 is more a case of "all speeding boats against everyone else". But rather than turn yet another thread into a "discrimination against cigarette boats" discussion, let's get back on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Even though I'm not in favor of the bill,I promise not to whine and complain if the vote does not go my way.I'll accept it and abide by it because we live in a democracy and a decision will be made after everyone has their say.
I'm wondering if the other side will do the same?????.
Samiam,
If a purely democratic process was followed and we had instead found that a majority opposed speed limits, and the legislature properly followed that mandate, then it would be imcumbent upon the minority to accept that result. That is what "living in a democracy" is really all about.
But when such an overwhelming majority of NH's citizens favor a speed limit, you should not expect that the opinion of 13 senators will stop this tsunami.
Reasonable speed limits on our lakes are inevitable, whether through HB162, or the next attempt that can begin as soon as next September. Rest assured, the citizens of NH who own these lakes and want to feel safe on them will ultimately prevail. That is what "living in a democracy" is really all about.
HB162 was just the start of a long process towards returning sanity to boating in NH...it is not at all the end of that, regardless of the Senate vote. That is what "living in a democracy" is really all about.