View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
I do know that I wouldn't want to go any smaller than the 22'. I may find that after using this for a couple seasons I may want to upgrade if the timing is right. I'm pretty confident that with proper judgement I won't have any issues on the lake. I am very prudent with my decisions on when to go where depending on the weather conditions and boating traffic. The wonderful thing about Winni is there is always a cove to putt around in and throw a few lines no matter what the wind is.

I think with proper experience, knowledge, and sound judgement, even a 16' toon with a 25hp engine can have a wonderful day on the lake. Likewise, a 25' tritoon with an incompetent captain can make everyone on the boat have a horrible day. I see people mentioning the size of a boat a lot, but I think it has more to do with knowing the limitations of your equipment, rather than trying to buy a boat that can take on anything, because as we all know, there isn't a boat on earth that can take on anything
Piston:

In a perfect world you are correct. However, let me give you an example of what often happens in the real world. You wake up in Wolfeboro and head to your boat and find perfect conditions so you load everyone in and head to Meredith for lunch. The ride is wonderful with calm conditions. After enjoying lunch and shopping for a couple hours your family piles back in and you head to Wolfeboro only to find the prevailing west wind has kicked in and the chop is unforgiving making the return treck uncomfortable, at best. You can pick any two ports on the lake and have the same experience. Yes, small pontoon boats are fine if you want to putt around in a very limited space on certain parts of the lake but if you want to have any range at all I'd think long and hard about what you purchase. Winnipesaukee can be incredibly rough. My advice is take your time and rent a few different boats before you buy. There is always a deal to be had in the used boat market, especially if you wait until the fall to buy. Good luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote