View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #21
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
Hmmm....You've kind of touched a nerve of mine!

I've taken a lot of courses - Power Squadron, USCG Auxiliary, and of course the NH State mandated stuff. My criticism of these are all the same:

They are all "text book", and I think they give you a false sense of really knowing what to do in an emergency. The example I always cite is teaching you to "Call Mayday on Channel 16 in case of an emergency".

Now, I took my Wife to one of these courses to learn these basics so she'd know what to do if the need arises. In reality however, I believe this kind of "text book" knowledge gives you are *false* sense of security.

For example - does she know how to turn the radio ON? Does she know how to adjust the squelch? Does she know how to change the channel? Does she know the antenna needs to be raised? Does she know how to raise it?

My point is - I'm definitely not going to say one *shouldn't* use the "formal" education system. However, don't be lulled into a false-sense of security about it. It is no replacement for real-world, on-the-water practice and drills.
Take a swift water rescue course and a white water course, then report back on the amount of practical vs. text book.

He's talking about canoeing, the instruction should be appropriate to the activity.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote