View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #58
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove

To JRC - Based on our age, neither my wife nor I have to pass the Safe Boater Education Certificate until January 2007, but will do so this winter anyway.
It can't hurt, I did it early too. I actually learned a few things, which is tough to imagine because my wife says I'm a know it all

Quote:
Now on to GPS navigation/chartplotter. I've decided on Navman 5500 rather than the Standard Horizon CP155 (both will take a C-MAP chip, and I'll purchase the Bizer Winni-chip). I just have to decide whether to get the one with external versus integrated antenna, and how to mount it so it doesn't obscure any of the dashboard instrument gauges.
Most people have found that the internal antenna works great on open boats, like yours. So why fuss with mounting an antenna. Obscuring the instruments was a problem for me as well. There is no clean answer on many boats. The GPS will have a speedometer which will be more accurate than your boats, so maybe you can block the boats speedometer. Someone on this board can up with that idea.

Quote:
Spring seems so far away...the only consolation is that I have plenty of time to work on the truck and snowblower.
I bought a new boat this fall as well, so I know how you feel.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote