View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #36
Airwaves

Silver Duck wrote:
Quote:
I seriously doubt that a $20 fee will even make the average out of state boater blink, let alone keep them away. After all, boating is not a cheap passtime, , and $20 is pretty insignificant in the overall cost of owning a boat!
AHHH you underestimate just how petty a Mass Legislator can be

How could the move be justified on Beacon Hill in retaliation for a $20 sticker in NH?

Revenue from an "insurance fee" on uninsured or under insured NH drivers could be placed into the "high risk pool" and it would have several immediate benefits in Mass.

1. It would reduce the amount of money insurance companies pay into the pool (by extension the amount of money good drivers pay into it)

2. It would reduce the number of Mass residents registering their car in NH to avoid paying insurance

3. Reducing the number of Mass residents registering in NH would boost sales and excise tax revenue.

4. Reducing the number of uninsured or under insured cars from NH on Mass roads would result in the Insurance Division looking at more cuts in premiums.

Since Mass requires its own residents to purchase a minimum amount of insurance this wouldn't be like the old commuter tax NH imposed years ago.

All it has to do is hit a Mass lawmaker the wrong way. Or actually any Mass resident for that matter since in Mass we can request specific bills be filed through our reps/senators, someone points out how much $ NH is getting from its boaters "education fee" from MA residents...

As for paying access fees for things like launching a boat, you are buying a service so it's really not the same argument.

I'm not saying these things will come to pass, I am just saying that they could.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote