View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
Airwaves

I found this story on the wire today, as I read it, both in state Maine boaters and out of state boaters have been required to buy a "milfoil" sticker. (unlike the proposed law in NH where NH boaters would not be required to buy the sticker)
The change will mean that Maine registered boats won't have to display the second sticker, but the fee (tax) will be included in their registration while out of state boaters will have to pay the fee (tax) and display the decal.

Quote:
Maine boaters are required to get two stickers when they register their boats. But that will change under a law that's been enacted by the Legislature.
A bill signed into law yesterday by Governor Baldacci combines Maine's ten-dollar lake and river protection sticker fee with the state's watercraft registration fee. It means the state will issue only one sticker to Maine resident boat owners.
The new law won't change fees that are charged. But it will save the state money by streamlining production and administration costs.
Only watercraft registered outside Maine will have to display a current lake and river protection sticker.
I also wanted to point out the same thing LIforrelaxin posted. NH does get federal dollars for the inland waterways so while the state "owns" inland waters such as Winnipesaukee, federal dollars are involved.

If NH passes something like this, and it ticks off the "right" people in MA, I can see a new border war...my warped mind could see a MA lawmaker deciding all NH registered motor vehicles traveling in MA pay an "insurance fee" to drive on MA roads since according to the NH DMV website
Quote:
New Hampshire is unusual in that you are not required to have automobile insurance. This policy reflects the state's traditionally conservative philosophy of minimized regulation; however, while New Hampshire prefers that drivers carry liability insurance if at all possible, certain drivers are required to carry it.
We haven't had a good border war since the days of Mel Thompson and Ed King!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote