View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #29
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Woodsy is correct. There is a huge legal difference between tax and fee issues concerning the motoring public and fees individual states attach for state owned entities, like inland waters.

The States receive federal funding for roadways and there is ample case law discerning what fees and taxes can be imposed on folks travelling roadways.

However, the inland waterways are owned by the State of New Hampshire with no such federal impositions. The State can and does charge access fees where necessary.
Skip for the most part I agree with what you are saying, however people must realize here that the State does get Federal Money that goes to help protect the lakes and rivers, as well I believe there is some Federal Money that goes to the Marine Patrol.... So much like the roadways there are some issues here that could make this a slippery slope and cause a lot of controversy. And much like Making NH recongnize out of state registrtions back in the 80s the Federal Goverment has input to all of this as well.... Hence why this is being called a "education" sticker....there are loop holes all over the place.... and once they do this for boats don't think they will not think about clever ways to do things for automobiles....weather they are able to pass anything or not is another story.....