View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
oldflounder

Default Ice is all gone

What a difference 2 wks makes! The ice is gone as far as the eye can see at Centre Harbor. I got in for a good part of an hour. Air mid 60's, surface water 42, viz not that great once I got in and stirred up a bunch of silt - or maybe it's lake inversion time. Spent most of the time either floating on my back on the surface playing Michelin Man [pretending it was bright and sunny and I was bathed in sunshine ---- I wasn't] or down under practicing with the full face mask. I have learned that I can leave the ambient air valve cap off and breath on the surface and underneath right away so that I can hopefully avoid the freeflow that I experienced last time there.

I picked up a cold at work the end of this past week and I was unable to pop my left ear today so I couldn't get below 15'. What sucked was that I dropped my spare mask below 15' of water at the red buoy marker and had to ignore the pain and chase it down to the bottom several more feet---praying I wouldn't pop an eardrum.

Not a dive to brag about but I wanted to get one more in before it gets clogged with boat traffic and you can't find a parking space nearby for the vehicle.

A couple boats were already running up and down the water there. It must be nice to be able to get in so early. Last time I was there they were running back and forth with skidoos.

Oh well - I guess it's back to the ocean and I'll start another Center Harbor thread next winter.

Come out to Nubble this summer and I'll spot out the good areas for you or join me at Fort Stark.
oldflounder is offline   Reply With Quote