View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #101
Belmont Resident

Default Just in the local paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
The Weirs is far more "upscale" today than it was in the 60s when we had the "bike week riots." Back then, the Weirs looked like an atomic bomb had gone off in the 40s or 50s and no one had ever returned. (I still have nightmares!) I agree that the burned building is a safety hazard. But I really don't think the city has the money to tear it down either.

As far as Bike Week is concerned -- IT'S ONLY ONE WEEK OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!! And the quality of visitors has greatly improved with each decade.

IMO, the problem with Laconia is that it can't seem to escape the effects of it's past as a poor mill town and as a "dumping site" for the state's mentally ill... and then there's the prison... toxic waste sites... lack of descent jobs... etc.
There was just an article about the concerns of this area.
The lakes region in general is becoming one big retirement community.
Jobs and big business are leaving the area and being replaced by retired people who are moving up here into their 2nd homes as full time residents.
Not sure of all the logistics of this but in a nut shell it isn’t a good thing and is progressively getting worse and unless something is done to change it will continue to do so.

As for bike week it dies a little more every year. Starting this year there will be no more closing of the bridge to any traffic.
Last year being the first year my wife started riding a motorcycle we visited the Weirs several times. Each time we heard complaints from venders who are hoping for a more scaled down version of bike week, being less drawn out because they are loosing money.
One of the things we noticed was the people we saw had very few items they bought.
Most seemed content on just walking around and stopping at the many watering holes.
I know for us living here, unless we see a gotta have item, we wait till the last day when everything is marked down 30 to 50% or more.