View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #48
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley Boy View Post
Codeman671, thanks. All very good and well informed points.

I noted that you were out on the lake that night but were you out there at 2:30am when this accident occurred?? At that time the conditions were at their worst i.e. rain, heavy fog and no moon. I have been told that the cloud cover and heavy fog severely interfered with GPS reception that morning. A little known fact is that the operator of the 370SS was very familiar with that area of the lake as her family owned summer property on Sleepers Island since she was a small child. She had made the trip between Lakeport and Sleepers many times but apparently got disorientated that morning. The 370SS was a brand new boat that had not been in the water for 36 hours before it was demolished. It is my opinion that navigation equipment is a necessity at night and, believe it or not, sometimes during the day. That very expensive 370SS was regretfully not so equipped. Truly a day boat.
I was out in the 11pm range, it was nasty enough then. I seem to recall seeing a photo of the dash of the boat on the site in the past. Are you sure it did not have electronics? I would be highly surprised if there was no chartplotter on the boat.

You sound like you are tied to this somehow...