View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #52
MJM

Default Surreal

I had one yesterday (8/9) that was so incredible, it's still hard to believe it happened.

Cruising across the broads, going from entrance to Winter Harbor towards Rattlesnake. 6 kids in the bow, enjoying the beautiful morning, going probably 15mph on a straight course.

I notice a bass boat behind me off the port side, coming somewhat at an angle towards us, but 100 yards or more away so no issue. A few minutes later I look again, and he's now maybe 200ft off my stern, still on my port side, with a slight (maybe 15 degrees) angle towards us. I found that odd, so I keep my eyes on him. (There are NO other boats anywhere in the area.)

The boat comes alongside me, MAYBE 20ft off!!!! Two guys, both of whom looked like responsible types (wearing PFDs, all gear was stored well, boat was in great shape, they were both sitting, didn't look like 20-something partiers).

I was stunned. So shocked I wasn't even angry. It seemed like a joke. I turn and raise my hands/shrug my shoulders and say (they were so close they could hear me) "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" They look at me, kinda shrug back as if to say "Hey, how are you, what're you trying to say?".

They went by, crossed in front of us (I had throttled down) at maybe 50ft, having stayed on their original course, and went on their way.

It was one I will never forget. It was so strange/stupid, it almost doesn't seem real!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote