View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
Mee-n-Mac

Default A good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
How about this? If a real bonehead is spotted by the MP, and they actually cite them for some significant behavior, A Mandatory, ON-Water test on a Weekend will be scheduled. The Boater assumes the full responsibility of whatever the MP deems a fee for this. This would actually change the culture on many lakes, and actually do something.
That might help though it's already difficult enough for the MP to patrol the lake. Adding all the manpower needed to do added on-water tests would no doubt reduce their patrol presence. Would that be a good tradeoff ... I dunno ?

But I think the real change wouldn't come from enforcing the written rules but rather in educating the masses to be a little more cognizant of the larger situation when boating and to be a bit less competitive when out there on the lake. I have no idea as to how to do this successfully. A proven method has historically been "the club" (and I don't mean the caveman kind). A newbie is inducted into the club and learns proper etiquette from it's members. Alas getting all the people to join the Fraternal Order of Friendly Boaters (FOFB, hmmmm ... gotta work on that one) is a tall order indeed.

I thought a sneaky method (to start on the kids) would be to use some of the first person shooter video game software and create a "3D" simulation of Winni on your PC (or Mac). You'd "travel" about the lake on your PC, admiring all the sights, learning all the hazards all while the software monitors your performance and gives you a rating for how well (or badly) you handled certain scenarios that required knowledge of the rules (written and unwritten) and commonsence. Extra points awarded for courteous boating. Capt B's find out that Winnie the lake monster is not just a legend. Alas I lack the skilz to accomplish such a task.