View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 10:46 PM   #32
Mee-n-Mac

Question More mystery tanks in Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
1) The tank could even have been empty at the time, but a full tank of diesel fuel possibly could have survived the fire around it, especially if fire hoses were directed on it. (But it doesn't look like an oil tank. It looks like a tank that would hold something clean, potable, maybe filtered-water. Maybe whole milk moved by steamship to market without shaking? Maple syrup?) {snip}
I was just re-reading mcdude's excellent railroad post and noticed that in a B&W photo of the old Alton Station (17'th image into post, from mcdude collection, view from across the water, small rowboat in foreground, Old Mount and station in background) there appear to be 3 similar tanks under the roof (look above the bow of the Old Mount). Anyone else concur ? If indeed they are similar then the fact that there are 3 makes me lean towards storage of some goods rather than water for the Mount (my first thought). What common liquids (other than Sally's rum) would be transported in bulk quantities back in them days ??

{False Alarm - After blowing the pic up some more I think the "tanks" might just be the light colored background/hillside framed by the station's arches ???}

I also noticed that in RG's post (same thread) about the train wreck there was mention of it happening "above the pumping station" for the Weirs. Anyone know about this pumping station, which I assume was water for the train's boilers ??

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 01-20-2005 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added FA observation
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote