View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #36
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

ChaseDawg, I know the area very well.... I have been boat in that area of the lake for 25 years now.... It amazes me every year how many people screw up goinging between chase and farm island. Not having lived in that specific area however I had never noticed just how many boats are damaged through there. Although I have once or twice been told that I was an idiot and on the wrong side of the markers, in which case I just stayed quite and prayed for the other guy...

I don't believe that there is any more that needs to be done by the MP as far as additional AtoNs. The danger area is very well marked. I would not try and put additional rock markers out there, because it will certainly only add to the confusion.

The problem for some reason in that area of the lake, is that people seem to loose a conception of where north really is. And because that side of the lake is not as busy as the southern side of the lake there aren't always people to "follow".... Thus on the northern side of the lake there always are more rocking hitting episodes, in certain areas.

You are doing your part, by helping people out when they screw up. You check on them, and help them out, that is what is important and you should be commended for. The only thing further you could do is look at their map with them to see how they got the impression that they where doing the right thing.

On another not no matter how well things are marked, some people just seem to be inclined to leave there mark on rocks... I have a rock to the side of my dock, that I have marked. My neighbor thought it was a good idea too, after he hit it several times.... even though he knew it was there. So each year it gets a noticeably bouy anchored by it, almost as soon as the ice goes out. One Spring a few years ago some guy was trolling along the shore before any docks where in, and I was working on the camp, I very audibly heard a passenger say, "that bouy probably marks a rock". The next thing I heard was a loud thud. When I looked They where examining a just newly converted 2 bladed prop.... Luckily they had a trolling motor and putted away, but not before hitting another rock, several doors down, for good measure. The second hit of course was there hull hitting the rock, so they didn't damage the trolling motor prop. I did eventually see the boat, down at the marina, being repaired, but I always wondered, if that skipper set out on the day, to find all rocks close to shore. If he did, he was doing a dam good job of it.