View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTOOL View Post
I find that you run your last tank of gas out with marvel mystery oil or a good two stroke oil pour in 32 fl.oz to 50 gals. to the point of almost empty and fill it up next spring with fresh gas. This has been working for years for me.
This is of course somewhat subject to opinion, but leaving an empty tank over the winter time can encourage condensation inside the tank with the temperature changes. This is the very thing you want to avoid especially with ethanol which assists in the attraction and separation of moisture in your gas. Much of that depends on the situation, where the boat will sit and if the tank is poly or metal. I always error on the side of caution and fill mine before I store it.

Far as the MMO or 2 stroke oil, neither does anything to stabilize your gas which in the long term can be problematic. Products such as Stabil have anti-oxidents which are used to prevent oxygen from attacking and breaking down the fuel molecules. In fact MMO in particular contains "non-hindered phenolic" which over time can turn acidic over time doing more damage than good. MMO is intended to be a cleaning and lubrication agent not a long term stabilizer. I've seen pre-mix 2 cycle gas go bad and gum up over the course of a single season. That was with a very good full synthetic 2 cycle oil too.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote