View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #29
Belmont Resident

Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
In Downtown Boston, I don't see the mountains, or hear the loons and the air is not as fresh to breathe. Downtown Boston is great for a lot of things especially things like medical care and maybe some shopping or a ride on a swan boat. In summer though, I need the magic of our wonderful lake and I love several of our restaurants on the lake AND the wonderful dinners at the homes of friends. I have lobster roll lunches so will miss Sam and Rosie's but Canoe has good lobster rolls if any of you are looking for a replacement. There is room for both lake restaurants and Boston restaurants and lucky are we all that enjoy such wonderful places!
Before I lived here it was about getting away. Leaving the crowded, crime filled, smog filled, over priced run down, cities behind. Those same overpriced eating establishments wouldn’t survive up here because there are not enough full time residents who could afford them. So you really can’t compare the two with any accuracy.
About the same as us buying property further north to take our vacations and spend our holidays away from the crowds who flock here to get away from the crowded cities.
I can take my wife out to a steak dinner that would rival O’s any day and pay about half what it would cost at O’s. But the dining area is about 12x12 and there is usually a wait so you go back to your car and watch for someone to come out then return to be seated.
The homeowners run the place and their old living room is the dining area.
They don’t dress fancy or even have a lot to choose from, but what they do have is as good or better then any place I’ve eaten in the Boston area or the lakes region.
Big Wood Steakhouse in Jackman Maine.