View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #34
AC2717

Default Appraisal replacement cost

Hi,
Have to be careful on this one here. The appraisers are sent out by the lenders and work for them essentially. It is a way to justify the amount of the loan. In most cases these numbers can be inflated. A lot of times it works in your favor when obtaining a equity loan or a 2nd mortgage, but when it is for a purchase it can hurt you. This is one of the major reason for the fall in the real estate market over inflation of appraisal values in order to obtain homes for buyers that have an over inflated price tag. A multitude of appraisal companies nationwide are being investigated by the Fed Gov. as a result. (this is the stuff you do not hear about on the new just that the market is terrible).

As people have reccommed here I would shop around maybe both insurance agents and a new lender, but it is clear to me the lender is the problem as their appraised amount is not a required limit of insurance needed in order to obtain the mortgage, as long as the bldg is properly insured then it is legal. There has got to be a special market for island homes in this area, there are to many in this area to not be. Best bet contact the real estate agent they have to know of a market, the insurance agent, if they do not have a special market, will not really tell you of one because they might want to gain your business and keep it in their agency. Not all are this way though and do not want to be blamed for stereo typing here.

Problem here insurance RC is more in tune, not saying correct, with rebuilding costs and the construction industry as they deal with it on a daily basis with losses. The lender is more in tune, again not saying correct, with the real estate market and buying and selling properties not rebuilding them or building them. That is why they hire appraisers.

If you want, and I am sure the forum might be getting sick of my long Windiness Private message me and we can chat more. I wish I could help you out with a insurance carrier but my knowledge does not reach past MA and some main-land NH areas.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote