Thread: Fortress Anchor
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
NH_boater

Default Fortress Anchor

I selected the Fortress because of the strong reputation and for the ease of use at sandbars, a little lighter and easier to manage for my wife. She tends to drop and pull the anchor as I position the boat. I do have a larger, steel danforth aboard should I get caught in a storm that would require me to anchor for safety. That being said, the US Navy and US Coast Guard are using fortress anchors on many of their 40' patrol boats, after much testing.

I recognize the marketing aspect of the USN and USCG endorsements but their use seem to be quite real. I have heard of bent flukes after severe pulls but I suspect that these are extreme cases. Reaching 4-5000 lbs of pull is impressive for any anchor.

Quote from Navagear site: "The Voiles et Voiliers crew was stunned by the performance of the aluminum Fortress model FX-37. This anchor held over 7,200 lbs., which was 3,000 lbs. greater than the second best anchor in the test. Just as astonishing was the fact that the 22 lb. Fortress FX-37 was 30% lighter in weight. The crew determined that its holding power was similar to what would be needed by a 40′ yacht during a hurricane.

Brian Sheehan, spokesman for Fortress Marine Anchors, commented, "We were not too surprised by these test results, particularly since we have an old, damaged FX-37 model in our lobby that was returned by a customer after Hurricane Andrew. This FX-37 held a 42′ Silverton in 140+ knot winds that lasted several hours. Now that was really surprising."

The Fortress FX-37 has been used as the primary anchor for many years aboard the US Coast Guard’s 40′ range of patrol boats. Most recently, it was selected for the brand new 45′ Response Boat Medium (RB-M)."

I have only used the thing for an afternoon of tests but the thing was impressive, setting much faster and harder than my super hooker in mud and sand. In many sandy bottom tests, the fortress seems to blow away the hi tensile strength Danforth. Either would be 10x-100x overkill for my daily anchoring needs. I do, of course, want to ensure that I have adequate anchorage should an emergency arise.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote