View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
You're right, I was kinda baiting him.

I saw the first post in this thread and shrugged. Then he was keeping the thread alive with this the-sky-is-falling theme so I decided to nudge it a bit.

The Poker Run stuff amuses me deeply. It's NOT a race, but if there is a speed limit in place turnout will somehow be affected. And the BEST Poker Runs apparently have lots of high performance boats running a speed that appears to be quite a fair bit above what most people would call "cruising speed" (see photo above). But, it's not a race.
Hey Brk,

I think you and I agree on more then we disagree on. You have many very good and well thought out opinions. I enjoyed reading that.... Not so much of being baited but all in good fun...

I am in the middle of that photo.. Surprisingly enough that was cruising.. Around 55mph.. Those boats are so stable at that speed you could put a coke down walk away and it wouldn't have moved by the time you walk back. This particular run where the photo was taken is a destination poker run. You all start off at the same place in different heats depending on your "desired" speed. Faster in front obviously. I have friends whose boats are very capable of going well over 80 and could stay up with the front guys. They choose to go in the second heat because they would rather cruise. Now of course this looks like a race because it is on a river. We start way up in Richmond and end up in Norfolk where we stay overnight. There is a pace boat to make sure no one is getting too far out in front because as mentioned there are MP's helping them all the way down. Hundreds of people come out and watch from the shorelines and it is an incredible time.

Winni obviously can't be done in this method so they do the port to port run. Still very fun and works well in a lake situation.

Anyway.. good talking with ya.