View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
However being part of the poker run circuit I do know that historically these events are geared towards the faster boats.
If the owners of those boats participated in the past for the sake of supporting the event and helping to raise funds, then there is nothing that is any different this year which should prevent them from continuing that tradition.

If people were participating primarily for an excuse to drive as fast as possible around the lake, then I would argue those are the attitudes that caused some people to believe we actually needed MORE laws on the lake. I would also then argue those participates do everyone a service by staying off the lake...

The new laws in effect this year would make a Poker Run more of an IROC-style event. If certain parameters are "capped" and more even for all participants, then the winners come about based on skill and cunning. A nimble hull and a familiarity with the lake would be major determining factors in the outcome of the winner. To me, this seems like a far greater challenge than a simple raw application of horsepower. Most of the performance boaters that *I've* known in the close to 30 years I've been boating would step up to such a challenge as a way to showcase their true skills.

Perhaps your friends fall more on the power than on the skill side of the equation...