View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve

So jadded............ You'll feel better.
First I feel just fine. Second I am not jaded. My view is just a bit different. I always say do what makes you happy. And hey if you happy tipping then so be it. The real reason of my post was to raise awareness to the fact that as a society we have let tipping get out of control. I tip when I feel it is needed. If a gas dock attendant Helps me dock my boat and pumps some gas I don't feel that is beyond the scope of there job..... therefore no tip..... which is not much differently then I act a bar or in a cab.... if the cabbie just drives, and doesn't offer any conversation I am likely to just pay the fair.... but why if the cabbie engages in some banter and the ride goes faster then yep he gets a tip. And hey even in a resturant, sure I always tip a waitress/ waiter..... but it stems from there level of service (which is something I see several of us agree on is important)..... In short what all this comes down to is what is in the scope of a job. As a gas dock attendant helping a customer dock, pumping the gas, and cleaning up accidental spillage is part of the job. Now if I was having a pump out or something out of the ordinary done for me that is different.

My feeling are simply that all to often these days, either tips are given, or expected for doing stuff that is within the scope of a job. Believe me I am the first to reward someone for work that is not part of thier job.... I just get irritated when people feel they should be tipped... luckily I have not seen a gas dock with a tip cup yet...... but is something i have seen so many places it irritates me.......

As for me I worked in a Meat cutter/wrapper going to college, and service was my middle name, I never once got or expected a tip..It was part of my job, even when customer asked for custom orders..... it was just all part of my job....I didn't make much more then my friends but because my job had some skill to it I made a few extra dollars an hour......