View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
sa meredith

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchin for fishin View Post
For the vast majority of the people on the lake who know the area, most may consider the witches adequately marked, however, IMO, even for a good boater who is new or newer to the lake, they can be easily missed in a sunny day with chop. For the level of hazard it is, you would think they could get buoy's like you see in the Piscataqua or even the size of the "no wake" cones at the Weir's channel. Do we need to wait until someone dies?
As someone who somehow became a bit disoriented a few years back , and ended up driving right into the witches "circle" at a high rate of speed (and somehow came out without a scratch) I have been singing this tune for quite a while. Although it is clearly marked on any chart, I think even a careful boater would expect nothing but open water after passing Governor's Island and heading out to the broads. It seems so wide open...and with any type of chop, or if you happen to come in at the right angle, the markers are indeed easy to miss. I have often thought something simple, like a golf fairway flag, placed in the circle would be much easier to see. And even the experienced Winni boater would become more comfortable. I'll say this...there is no way, after experiencing it once, it can ever happen again. Just no way that mistake can be made twice by the same person.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote