View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
I do know that I wouldn't want to go any smaller than the 22'. I may find that after using this for a couple seasons I may want to upgrade if the timing is right. I'm pretty confident that with proper judgement I won't have any issues on the lake. I am very prudent with my decisions on when to go where depending on the weather conditions and boating traffic. The wonderful thing about Winni is there is always a cove to putt around in and throw a few lines no matter what the wind is.

I think with proper experience, knowledge, and sound judgement, even a 16' toon with a 25hp engine can have a wonderful day on the lake. Likewise, a 25' tritoon with an incompetent captain can make everyone on the boat have a horrible day. I see people mentioning the size of a boat a lot, but I think it has more to do with knowing the limitations of your equipment, rather than trying to buy a boat that can take on anything, because as we all know, there isn't a boat on earth that can take on anything

As mentioned I don't have a lot of experience with pontoon boats, only the ones I've rented which have been in this size. If anyone has any good links to helpful information on the specifics of operating a pontoon boat then please post them here. I'm not too proud to admit that I still have a lot to learn when it comes to pontoon boating
Having owned a wide range of boats myself I couldn't agree with you more. From several single and twin screw ocean boats to now a 22 foot pontoon with a bigfoot 60 on the lake, I am certain you will use the pontoon as intended and find it perfect for what it was designed for. Sure there are days when anchoring in a cove is a wise choice but then again that could apply to any boat in different situations. We do however boat out of Long Island and there are many places over this way to tuck out of the way when conditions dictate.

Generally we travel most parts of the lake but avoid the largest stretches of the broads. Having a 60hp does slow us down some compared to over 100hp but we are out there to enjoy the lake so that usually isn't a problem(cruise speed for us is 16mph).

Some people do have a hard time understanding what an opinion is and that their opinion isn't the only one that has merit.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote