View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Brk...

At 2800 RPM the V-twin motor is right in the middle of its powerband.... I dont think there are many Harleys that rev over 5000 RPM. They are tractor motors after all...

Your run of the mill 4 cyl crotch rocket doesnt get to its powerband until 7000 - 8000 RPM. They can rev as high as 13,000 RPM! A piped crotch rocket would be very quiet @ 2800 RPM.

Woodsy
Very interesting, makes sense now that you spelled it out.

I'm (obviously) not a rider, but it's been on my to-do list for several years

I do have this un-biased comment, though, the "loud pipes" crowd is pretty fugging annoying the majority of the time. The "loud pipes save lives" argument would only seem to apply to anything approaching directly from behind, for the most part it really comes off as a cross between a "look and me" and an "F U" statement.

Although I've never kept valid statistics, I can't recall the last time I heard a crotch rocket with an insanely loud exhaust.

Hard to say if this is the result of a specific anti-V Twin beef, or an attempt to just target the law towards the most common offenders. (I realize it may be hard to distinguish between the two statements.