Thread: Belknap College
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Student

I attended Belknap College after graduating from Laconia High School in 1969, 1970 and 1971. The college had a great staff. Most notably Dr E Meskys who lost his eyesight at the time. Very amazing is the fact that he would use the chalkboard as if he had no problem with his eyes.
The former Red Hill Inn, the brick building posted above was the administration building. Some classes were taught there. The new building in the back was the former library. A gym, auditorium building with classroooms underneath, located on the bottom of the hill below the admin building, was torned down. A former cow barn was located on the lower left hand corner of the property were classrooms. Buildings surrounding the barn were classrooms, book store, and student union building.

In Center Harbor, most of the buildings that houses the students were torned down. The Coe House was the former women dorm. The old building to the very right of the mall EM Heath is in was a dorm. The bus rides between the upper and lower campus was quite a thrill trip. Especially when it is snowing out.

My dad use to transport milk for Weeks Diary in Laconia in the '50's and early 60's. I remember stopping at the BC barn for milk. It use to be the Dane farm, a beautiful piece of property in the day.