View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #41
ApS

Unhappy For Cercariae, Life's a [Wind-Driven] Beach...

1) A Canadian site provided this life cycle of the duck-itch "Cercariae":

I looked for cases where seagulls might be part of the life cycle, but found no indication of that. (Only "waterfowl").

2) Less frequently encountered (and just as itchy) are more extensive skin rashes due to blue-green algae.

Examples are seen in the lake towards August. Those float within a few feet of surface waters and appear like fuzzy grains of fine sawdust. When they get concentrated near shore, they can produce rashes just as itchy and far more extensive than duck itch.

3) For either case, my M.D. prescribed "Aristocort" (triamcinolone acetonide), which has served me well for both kinds of rashes. A generous 80g tube lasts me up to three years, and I alternate prescriptions between "ointment" and "cream" types. (The "greasy" ointment holds up better around water).

What seems to help is the CVS zinc-based sunblock I use (UVA/UVB spf-46+). It has, as one ingredient, bees-wax!

4) This is the Cercariae culprit greatly enlarged:

5) The free-swimming Cercariae are attracted to sunlit surface waters, and get concentrated against beaches by the wind.

If the beach you selected for swimming is getting a direct on-shore wind, you'll need to find a different beach.

6) A recently found photo makes it appear that the fascination for study of Lake Winnipesaukee's aquatic life started early for me. Very early :
Attached Images