View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #95
ApS

Question Just how safe are we—statistically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
"...Wh is this? Because damages ranging between $500-$2000 are not serious and certainly nothing that a speed limit will prevent..."
If you ran over any one of my four sailboats (each not reaching a value of $2000)—and it sank out of sight forever—I would not need to report that loss to the NHMP/Coast Guard. (If the boat's occupants remained unkilled, uncrushed, and undrowned, that is.)

Conversely, if your $2200 purple-and-yellow-plastic graphics decal got damaged in the collision, you'd need to file a report. (You have 24-hours to report any of the boat's occupants killed, crushed, or drowned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
"...Anything serious would be reported, a boat hitting a rock and not sinking or a few boats bumping at a dock are of no concern to the CG..."
A boat hitting a rock is not a collision: dock bumps seldom do $2000 damage.

Rock-striking would be "running aground" or "striking a fixed object". Each is a separate category in CG statistics, and which receive full Coast Guard statistical attention IF reported to the NHMP.

New Hampshire recorded only two full-season BUIs and two "Running Agrounds" in recent years—statewide!

California, for example, still requires reports of >$500 damage, which makes California "look" more hazardous to boaters.

Conversely, New Hampshire reports so few Winnipesaukee damage reports—the threshold being $2000—it instantly assumes a "statistically safer" lake over California's lakes.

Pret-t-y smart of our tourist-state's Legislators, huh?