View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #84
ApS

Cool Revised:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
"...APS - duuuuude, looks like you have no surfing experience either, huh!?! ..."
Several forum members know that my younger years were spent at Lanakai Beach, Oahu, Hawaii—YES, I have surfing experience. (Just no "duuuuude" experience)

Boaters in the mix were not a problem—but they are now—and are being banned in several places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
"...I have had close calls on my PWCs at slow speeds and none with boats at high speeds. All were 150' infractions..."
PWCs have close calls too? Now empathize with the boater who doesn't have an engine in order to swerve. Sailboats and kayaks can't swerve.

BTW, All collisions are 150' infractions: If your PWC is damaged and needs less than $2000 to repair, a report to NHMP is unnecessary. (A recent change for NH boaters—upped from $500).

...but the statistic is lost: The Coast Guard estimates that only 10% of non-fatal collision reports make it to their desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
"...The NH general population...should stay away from micromanagement of how to drive a boat - especially since the rules already define safe boating.
Managing boaters traveling at 70 to 130+ is not micromanaging: it's managing protected inland waters from the criss-crossing of boats traveling at wide-open (and insane) speeds. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
"...Except for when the jet ski was riderless going down the wave..."
Hmmm...riderless?

The quantity of "incidents" with riderless and overpowered 4½-ton boats are legion. Long Lake's "driver-free ride" last year endangered lake dwellers 130 feet up from the shoreline. (Not a record, BTW...500 feet is a recent record.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
"...this is the first year that boating certification is mandatory so I think we should let it bake...,"
1) Director Barrett's "Temporary Speed Limit" soothed the waters last season.

2) Certification with reciprocity is deeply flawed for New Hampshire—and a two year sunset provision is a good test, and Not Forever.

3) I think the governor will sign it. Who would want the ramifications of the next incident on his hands?