View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #72
Airwaves

Default ARG over the Marine Patrol?

So let me get this straight. The speed limit crowd is quoting from a survey done by a firm with a questionable reputation, conducted in an area away from the lake, and with an unknown number of people that have experience on Lake Winnipesaukee?

But they call the Marine Patrol research, conducted on the lake in much the same manner in which they will have to set up radar posts if this bill becomes law, flawed?

The ARS survery, as I understand it would be like conducting a poll for the Republican Presidential Primary but including Democratic voters in the results!

In the spirit of compromise, and this is mainly directed toward any Senator or State Rep that happens to be lurking. I would propose the following that would solve most of the problems raised by the folks truely concerned about safety (none of the issues raised by people who want performance boats gone) and at the same time I believe it would be acceptable to many of the folks that oppose HB847.

Substitute the language in HB 847 with the USCG Navigation Rule 6. Here are the benefits.

1. It would give Marine Patrol greater flexibility in deciding what is an unsafe speed for the conditions that exist.
2. The could enforce this law visually, without the need for radar.
3. Without having to rely on radar they don't have to divert resources currently used for safety patrols.
4. No additional funds need be spent for radar certification.
5. Rule 6 spells out exactly what criteria is used in its enforcement.
6. It would not establish arbitrary numbers allowing boats to travel at speeds that are safe above or below 45 given existing conditions.
7. It actually addresses safety issues.

I would back the adoption of Rule 6 100%.