View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #86
Airwaves

Sorry, my mistake this is the correct link:
http://uscgboating.org/statistics/accident_stats.htm
If you open the stats for 1997 you will find that it includes material from 1996.

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar
How does the fact that boater education decreases the number of collisions prove that that number of colisions do not increase as speed increases????
The only things that can really be compared between 1996 and 2006 or 2007 is the number of boaters that took safe boating education classes either on a voluntary or mandatory basis increased, the number of registered boats increased, and the number of accidents and collisions decreased.

The number of states imposing a speed limit did not skyrocket and the only speed limit recognized by the USCG is excessive speed as defined by Rule 6 and under Rule 6 excessive speed could mean 5mph or 100mph depending upon conditions.

Even your favorite CWO says that as the number of boaters that take a NASBLA approved boating course incresease the number of boating accidents decreases.

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar
Quote:
Originally posted by Airwaves
BTW it also shows a rise in deaths associated with canoes and kayaks between 2006 and 2007 from 99 to 107!
And what exactly does that have to do with speed and collisions??? How many of those deaths were in rivers - in white water?
My point about the high number of deaths associated with canoes and kayaks is directly related to the fact that canoeists (is that a word?) and kayakers routinely do NOT take NASBLA safe boating courses. Therefor a lack of safe boating knowledge and practice, not speed, once again is linked.

NASBLA itself has begun looking into developing some kind of course for kayakers and canoeists because of the increasing popularity of the sport coupled witih the increasing number of deaths.

BTW, I tried to see what the percentage of registered boats involved in collisions were in 1996 vs 2006, unfortunately my calculator isn't strong enough, the number came up 0.00 both times.
Okay, I found another calculator. So in 1996, with 3,422 collisions involving 11,877,938 registered boats in the U.S. the percentage of registered boats involved in a collision appears to be: 0.000293653%.
In 2006 with 2,019 collisions involving 12,746,126 registered boats in the U.S. the percentage looks like 0.000158401%!

As I said, what does the collision rate nationally have to do with Lake Winnipesaukee? NOTHING

Last edited by Airwaves; 07-13-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: New calculations