View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #41
SBC

Default Commom Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP New Hampshire View Post
oops! I almost forgot to mention that paddle boards are now considered boats since 2010. Before that it was okay to have Belt inflation device. SUP has become popular so now they treat it like a boat. You have to have a vest type device! and a whistle!!

I mentioned the picture of the women paddling with the waist PFD.
I did this because at the time of her photograph it was acceptable to wear belt devices on a paddleboard. No one would have given her a hard time back then.

Even the WPA(world paddle association) changed their certification for SUP and told old students to use vests now.

If anyone has any paddle board questions please feel free to ask

chris@supnh.com
Can't for the life of me figure out where you are going with this rant about 'inflatables used to be OK' etc., and hot headed Marine Patrol officers citing for this kind of PFD. I do think you have brought forth two very good suggestions though.

One is a PFD, carry it, strap it to the board or as in the case of this smart paddler pictured, WEAR IT. Doesn't interfere with motion or tan, is Type III USCG approved and not to be worn by those under 16 and is not an unsightly blob in your paddle styling. Simple right? So now think of that last statement, visibility, and that it just might not be immediately evident to you or a MP officer that she has a PFD. Might invite a closer inspection by a safety conscious officer don't you think?

Second is the whistle, audible over good distance, shrill sound different from other ambient noises and doesn't need a lot of breath to activate. Legally it is not required on a manually powered vessel but it sure makes a heap of sense to spend $3-5.00 to have one and attach it to your person or PFD.

And Belmont Resident, how much regulation do responsible adults need? You have seat belts in your car and you can choose to wear them if you are 18 or older. Your choice for safety. Motorcycle helmet for adults? Your choice for safety. The law states you must have a PFD on a boat of any kind but if you are 13 or over you have a choice to wear (Captain notwithstanding).

Please people, lets not cry for a law for every little thing, let's incorporate some common sense-everyday.

Let's go get the bottom wet.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote