View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Just Sold

Exclamation I made it home when others did not

I was working in Fall River MA on that fatefull day and it was snowing pretty good but I was not concerned. About 1 PM I called my wife at work in Acton MA where we lived and she told me that the storm was really bad there. She had also talked with a person in NJ who said the storm was really bad there and that weather predictions were it was coming our way so I should head home as soon as possible.

So I listened to the radio and the warnings and that companies were letting people go home early due to the weather. I decided that going up Rt 24 to Rt 128 was a bad idea based on traffic reports and headed west to Providence RI which turned out to be slow but no problem. I then headed north on Rt 95 and that is when things got really bad as night had settled in. Visability was horrible and by the time I reached Rt 495N I could barely see the road let alone road signs and other cars. I traveled 495 at 10 to 20 MPH all the way to Rt 2A in Littleton and into Acton MA. I followed other car tracks and passed many a car totally stopped in the middle of the highway but never got stuck or otherwise held up. This trip which was usually about 1.5 hours (70 + miles) but it turned into 5+ hours. All of this was in a Chevy Suburban 2 wheel drive.

After having a late dinner I plowed snow for the apartment comlex we lived at in shift with another person for the rest of the night. We could only keep the main road open. The next day after snow blowing what we could I went out in the plow truck and found a convience store opened up the street and got milk and bread for the elderly and those with small children in our complex.

I will never forget the very dangerous drive home or plowing that night and that I made it home when so many did not. BTW the Chevy was completely buried in snow the day after the storm.

Last edited by Just Sold; 02-06-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Corrected minor errors/typos
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote