View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #37
Water Camper

Default What drew you to Winni ?

I originate out of the Lewiston/Auburn, Me area. My parents were frequent tenters at Sebago Lake State Park. It was a yearly experience with many relatives coordinating their vacations together to enjoy the time together.

I came to college in Manchester, NH and just never left the area. In the early 70's bought a friend of mine's boat, as he said I was using it more than him and he figured he could borrow it from me when he wanted to use it.

Bought my first piece of lake property on Highland Lake in Stoddard, NH. My wife and I camped out there for many years. But the lake was small and shallow. Not very good for water skiing.

Bought my next property in North Windham, Me on Thomas Pond, which runs into Sebago Lake. Brought back many memories of my childhood experiences camping with my parents. After several years, again found the lake to be rather small.

We sold the property and started looking for a new location to visit. Tried Lake Champlain, Moosehead, Sebago, Sunape, Winnisquam, and Winnipesaukee. We live in Pembroke, NH and the travel to most of these lakes took quite a bit of time, where Winnipesaukee was almost in our back yard.

In 1994 my mother in law offered to rent a slip for a summer as a birthday gift to me. We talked with Paul Blizzard at Lakeport Landing and he offered me a slip in the boathouse. A deal I couldn't refuse, we still have the same slip today.

So, the combination of the proximity to where we live, (easy to take a quick ride up to the lake after work and just go for a boat ride,) the beauty of the area, (we now have a 100 year old cottage on Weirs Boulevard surrounded by woods,) and being able to spend a whole day on the lake while visiting multiple ports and friends by boat.

The only thing I would like to change is my wife's dislike of riding thru the channel mid day on a weekend during July and August. She feels its like playing bumper cars.

We hope to retire up here in the not too distant future. Time will tell.
Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote