View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,521 Times in 985 Posts
Default Be a cheerleader for NH

In my area, the state highway dept picks up signs the next work day after they are put on the state ROW. On local roads they mostly get left alone. For local elections, state Rep, selectman, school board, the candidates pick up their signs the day after the election. Somehow, they must informally agree not to put signs up before a certain date. Then, a few crocuses can be seen and a week later the yards are filled with color. Happens every spring.

Obviously, signs are effective, and it's only once every four years that the "paid volunteers" come around. I'm happy to have NH as "First in the Nation" and if a few signs encourage people to come here and rent cars and hotel rooms and eat in our restaurants, I'm happy for that too.

In June 2004, my wife and I were eating in a restaurant on an island off the coast of Scotland. Learning that we were from NH, the owner wanted to know all about the NH Primary. We're famous worldwide. Who knew? I told him it is as much an industry as a political event and it brings great favorable publicity to our small state. How else could we get 6 networks to stand in front of a bandstand or a white church and tell the world how friendly and engaged the people of NH are?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: