View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #18
Lakegeezer

Default Isn't this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac
I have always given way to other vessels because who knows at that point weather they actually know the rules. I don't believe RG was at fault in this situation
This can be confusing to the stand-off boat who is paying attention and obeying the rules of the seas. Once a stand-off boat realizes its situation, it should set a new intercept course to miss the stand-on boat by at least 150 feet. Anyone who has played video games since the days of pong can do this. The stand-off boat can and should make their intentions more clear by over-correcting and then fine-tuning the course. If the stand-on boat changes course, then the stand-off boat has to recalculate the intercept course. The best course of action if you are the stand-on boat is to maintain course, and take evasive action when (based on distance and speed) it becomes clear that the 150 bubble will be broken. Stand-on boats that start evasive action with 1/4 mile or so separation are just adding to the confusion. There are exceptions to this. If the stand-on boat is forcing a drastic change in course to the stand-off boat, such as into traffic or against the rocks, the stand-on boat may choose to yield way so that the stand-on boat may pass more comfortably.

It all comes down to understanding the situation, being considerate and trusting the other captain. On a lake that is mostly recreational boaters, all three aspects are sometimes lacking. I find though that if I trust the other boater to do the right thing - they usually do - and while I still have to make too many last minute course corrections, there is always time to avoid a collision.