View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Overlake97

Default Unfortunate Business Decision

Last week I ordered one Cheeseburger over the phone, which was listed in their take-out menu as $2.85. My decision to try their burger had been influenced by the low price (compared to McDs and Wendy's for something similar), my desire to get a quick and cheap "snack", and my positive experiences with other items at their place (see earlier FISH post). When I arrived and was told I owed $5.72, I said that must be someone else's order, as mine should be around $3 with tax. The person working the cash register told me the price had gone up. The owner then walked over and started to poke some keys on the register; I thought he was about to alter the charge, at least for this one time since I had clearly been led astray by the take-out menu (Note: the in-store menu also still showed the $2.85 price). Instead, he explained that they had to adjust the price because it was a quarter pound of beef, "not like McDonalds," (although they do have a quarter-pounder). I could have declined the nearly doubled-in-price burger, and probably should have, but I was curious, and hungry, and paid the $5.72. The burger was good, but the experience left a bad taste.

I can appreciate the need to charge more, but this should and could have been handled differently. For starters, the person who took my order over the phone should have mentioned the price increase at that time, giving me the option to stay or go. The way it played out, it smacked more of the old "bait and switch." This episode won't stop me from going there, as the food is still worth it, but it could have been handled better.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post: