View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ... $18 home-made roof racks!

Using a fat 48" foam noodle, and a length of pvc rigid tubing pushed down through the noodle's center hole both purchased at Lowe's, plus a Malone Roof System 10' web strap (eight dollars) purchased at Plymouth Ski & Sport for a semi-total of about $18, I was able to make a pretty decent cartop roof rack for safely moving a kayak or canoe.

To safely carry the 70-lb load of a 17' aluminum canoe and distribute the weight over a wider area of the car roof, I made up four roof racks units for a total of about $72, plus you get to chose the color of the fat foam noodle to match your car: green, red, blue, or yellow! Not designed to be left on the roof permanently, but just thrown on and tightened down temporarily when the need arises to move a kayak/canoe.

Besides securing the canoe to the noodle racks, it is definitely a good idea to secure a line from the bow to your car's front bumper as well.

Question of the day: Is it more aerodynamic to place a canoe on the roof face up, or face down? It seems to me that having the bottom with the keel of the canoe face down would be more aerodynamic and have less resistance to the 70-mph wind of driving Rt 93. U know when things go wrong with a canoe on the roof at 70-mph, they can go bad very quickly and abruptly.