View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
CLA,

I believe the difference is related to "unintended couples" in the leads. Before I retired, almost seven years ago now, I was involved in engineering management for a large company. We used thermocouples in many applications. When we had questions about accuracy and unusual readings, it almost always came down to the leads.

Here is some technical information that might help:

http://www.picotech.com/applications/thermocouple.html

Thanks for all you do!

R2B

You're welcome. And thank you for the info. I just realized something: The other probe, at 2 feet, began reading 5 degrees too high, last year. I put the 10-foot probe in about a year after the 2-foot one. So, when each probe reached a certain age (the same for both) it began misreading.

I tested the 2-foot probe and found it to be 5 degrees too high. The computer corrects it with a script that subtracts 5, and I can change that number if I need to.

If I assume the 10-foot probe is reading low by the same amount, that brings the actual temperature to 35 degrees instead of its current reading of 30.

35 is what it's almost always shown during lake ice season. The lowest I ever remember it going was 34.

Your thoughts?
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post: