View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #22
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk
I want the Marine Patrol to be better funded but it would be nice to get a specific plan, i.e. "We will add 4 boats and 10 officers next year with a focus on X, Y, and Z programs and enforcement. To fund this we will need $XXX and will increase registration cost by $NN." My registration costs around $60. I would happily pay an additional $5 if that would go directly to the Marine patrol for targeted improvements. That would net about $500,000 (100,000 registered boaters) which I think would nicely fund significant improvements. Why is this so hard and why do we need to play these games, pitting state against town?
I hardly think that they need more boats, have you seen the armada they have? Many never leave the dock. Are two large cruisers really necessary along with everything else they have? I think one that size is more than sufficient. Maybe a bit less spent on floating "toys" and more spent on training officers, maybe pay increases to get quality people, or just more shift hours to allot may be a better use of funds.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote