View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Here's The Deal

Glad to hear we weren’t the only ones confused by the sign.

I just spoke with Dave Owen, the Town Manager of Wolfeboro and got some clarification and gave him some feedback. From what I understand, the town was trying to do the right thing by supplying handicap boaters with dock access; there are several islanders, which are handicapped that use the Wolfeboro town docks. The State Disability Commission chose which dock should be designated to have the handicap access sign. I explained that the sign was very confusing and he understands it should be made to be clearer.

Basically at this point anyone can dock anywhere. He did say that we should leave a space for a truly handicap person. I brought up the idea that designating some spots closer to land or the parking lot for someone with a disability might be better than the dock they chose, making it very clear which spots those are. At this point, if you are handicap, this sign really doesn’t help you. You will have to wait just like the rest of us for a spot that would be best for you. There are no “official” handicap permits. So far anyway and there will be no tickets given out to violators at this time.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote