View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
So sorry SAMIAM, wrong answer. As the Professor said, this quasi-government agency is pre-funding employee's retirements whom they haven't even hired yet. Why? Because Congress made them do it back in Nixon's tenure whose administration created the USPS rather than the Department of the Post Office. Actually not a bad idea, but in times of economic trouble we see the fallacy of such an edict.

I don't work for the USPS, but I deal with the world postal industry everyday. Don't condemn them for what is happening right now. There is plenty of things they have screwed up, but this current situation where they must close offices and cut back on delivery isn't one of them.
Pineneedles:

The post office along with most everything in the government is gushing red ink. The fact of the matter is that the US mail system has lost roughly 25% of its volume due to the internet and this figure is projected to grow substantially in the coming years. This is primarily why it is gushing red ink and why it will get worse. We we all need to make sacrifices to keep our country solvent and strong. Closing a bunch of post offices and eliminating mail delivery on Saturday is an easy choice and one I'm ready to make. Future government cut backs will make the post office issue look like child's play.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote